Friday, March 15, 2013

When the going gets tough....the tough do Yoga??

Yes it's been a tough week or so...seems like my calendar these past couple weeks has been crazy. Spring is still trying ever so hard to peek it's little head....but March's lion is being quite stubborn to say the least. Training has been very hit and miss sprinkled with it's definite share of problems....such is life of the over 40 runner I guess.

So I've been on a few runs since I last wrote, but nothing major. First of all...and I think I posted this before...my Nike+ sensor has been dying a slow death. Needless to say I was finally able to order a new one today, but it won't be here for another week. In the meantime I'm using my Nike+ Running app. It does the job, but I prefer the sensor only because it doesn't use as much battery life on my iPod.

So since the last time I wrote I've only gone on a 2.6 mile run, a 3.5 mile run and today was a 4.2 mile jog. Sunday I was actually able to get out on the trail..YIPEE!!! ...which was great, but I only walked it since my running shoes are not really meant for the trail and we weren't sure what muddy mess we might run into. However come Monday my left hip started to really bother me...now I'm not sure if it was because I ran 2 days in a row (I usually skip a day in between) or walking on the trail. But I decided to rest Monday and then go out on Tuesday. Tuesday was snowy and cold which means a trip to Kids America track again...and it didn't go so well. I ran but it didn't feel good...the first mile was painful. Though I worked through it and it eventually felt better toward the end, later that day it just ached pretty bad. Needless to say because of the pain I also took Wednesday off...which was fine because it was my oldest son's 16th birthday...where has the time gone?!? So yesterday I was hoping to get out...the weather was actually somewhat decent for an outdoor run...but no. Still in quite a bit of pain. Anyone who knows me knows that if I'm not able to get out and get my runs in I tend to let say...get a little grumpy. So Thursday I was a bit grumpy AND discouraged...not a good combo. I have to admit...ever since I signed up for the Capital City Half Marathon, I've had this overwhelming fear that I'm not going to get to run...something is gonna go wrong and I won't be able to do it. So now then imagine my fear when I've been dealing with nagging hip pain about 8 weeks out of my half marathon...I was not a happy girl.

So I was surfing the web...somewhat sulking and I found this video on YouTube for Yoga for Runners...also found a routine on Runner's World of Yoga moves to help runners be more flexible. Needless to say, instead of sitting there sulking and drowning my sorrows in a box of Girl Scout Thin Mints, I decided to try them (the Yoga...not the cookies...lol) ...needless to say it was the best my hip had felt all week...it was amazing!! It hurt, but it was a good pain...stretching muscles that just aren't that flexible is hard, but after doing the routine my hip felt so much better! Am I 100%...no, but it was the best I've felt in a week. So we get to today. Though I felt great after the routine yesterday I wasn't totally optimistic that I would feel just as good by morning...but thank God I did. I decided that I would try a few laps around the track at KA...I did some Yoga moves before I left to stretch out a bit (felt good) and then warmed up with a nice 5 minute walk around the track. I decided to go ahead and try to run...honestly my "run" was more of a jog...I was doing my best to be gentle and not push too much. And it was a tiny bit sore and stiff at first but the longer I went the better it felt. Still not 100% but not near the pain I was feeling earlier in the week. I was only pulling a 10.26 mile (which is about 2 minutes off my best mile time) but I was totally ok with that...I was just glad to be out there and just doing something. Ended up doing 4.2 miles and it felt good. So I am really hoping I am on the mend and that we can soon go full steam ahead soon :).

I've talked before about a great website I found that has really great DJ running mixes called Rock My Run. Recently picked up a few new mixes that I wanted to share. First one is called Boost by DJ PJ...it's a short mix, only 20 minutes, but it's great when you're doing interval training. It's a great little mix of Pop, Rock and Hip Hop. Another one by DJ PJ called Let's Get Ready To Run is another great mix...this one is great for those long runs...its 120 minutes! Great mix of 80s, 90s, Today's music, Hip Hop and House music. If you're training for a half, definitely give this one a try. Lastly I recommend the mix by DJ Eric Love called Mashup My Run Vol. 1...a nice 60 minute mix of Rock, Hip Hop and 80s. It's the mix I used today on my "jog" and it got me through.

Well I hope if you're training for anything that it's been going better than mine has. Leave a comment and let me know how you're doing...no matter what injuries I end up with, I'm usually a pretty good cheerleader ;)   

Have a great weekend!!



No comments:

Post a Comment