Saturday, April 20, 2013

Race season begins today!!

Yes...you heard it right...running race season officially begins for me today. My first 5K race of the year happens tonight at 6 pm...my first evening race. Not sure how that will affect anything, but we shall see. Not really in it to win anything...I'm so geared toward running my half that I'm not really sure how going back to a 5K will be. Those of you who have run long distance races...you know what I mean. You can't go at your 5K pace for a half marathon....unless you're from Kenya, then it's no problem...lol. For a 40 something like me...that ain't happening. So I'm just going to go at a normal pace I have been so I don't throw off my half marathon pacing...and I will be much happy with that :)....now if this bipolar Ohio weather would just cooperate!! Of course, those who know me and my family we are big into Boy Scouts...2 of my sons are Scouts and my hubby is the Committee Chairman. It's an inside joke with us that it doesn't matter when they schedule a campout, that when they do you can almost surely bet that there will be bad weather. This weekend is no exception...it was in the 60's - 80's earlier this week...this morning...36 degrees. Yep...that's Ohio for ya. Just glad to know that they aren't camping out during my half marathon weekend...lol!

So tonight's race is for an organization in our community called First Step. They help with those dealing with violent family situations. I don't feel so bad plunking down my race fee when I know it's going to an organization that is trying to help people, especially in our community. 

So 2 weeks....that's 14 days people....14 days until the Capital City Half Marathon. The closer it gets the more nervous I get....this is crazy!! What was I thinking?!?! Does anyone ever feel like they are truly ready for a race?? Especially a long distance race?? I know I've been training for what seems like forever but I still don't feel prepared....ahhhh!! 

On another note...a relief to see that the culprits responsible for the Boston bombings were caught. What a crazy and heart wrenching week for Boston. In honor of Boston, I think for my 5K tonight I'm gonna wear my yellow Bondi Band and a blue race shirt or my blue with white stars Bondi Band and a yellow race shirt...we shall see...but I have been so touched and affected by what happened in Boston....they deserve to be honored for their bravery and for the trauma they have gone through. God bless Boston!

So I better get off here and get something done today...got laundry to do and clean some house before my run tonight. Not to mention getting things ready for Junior Church and teaching hubby's Sunday School class tomorrow. No rest for the weary...or is that no rest for the wicked....hmmm...oh well. 

Have a super weekend!!


No comments:

Post a Comment