Tuesday, April 16, 2013

And thoughts turn to Boston...

As with many of you, I am still in shock over the events that took place in Boston yesterday. When I first heard the news I was in shock and disbelief and very sad. But I'll be honest....my sadness quickly turned to anger as I was upset that someone would take an event that people have worked months and even years to get to, let alone race in and they took it and trampled on it. This attack, as with many runners I'm sure, was personal to me. It sickens me that someone would take an event that many spent huge amounts of time preparing for...an event that was to be a celebration of all that hard work, and turn it to evil.  Then when I woke up this morning and found out that one of the victims of this senseless attack was an 8 year old boy, my heart broke all over again. This young boy was waiting to cheer his dad across that finish line when the explosion went off. I've heard his wife and daughter were also severely injured. I can't even imagine what this man is going through. And again my heart breaks. I'm so sad and angry that someone felt the need to not only hurt innocent people...many of them children...and the fact that they have taken the "Olympics of Running" and marred it. It saddens and sickens me. Runners are some of the neatest and most giving people you will meet. The sense of camaraderie among runners is honestly magical and contagious. This crime is as senseless as 9/11....can't help but shed tears over it. Last night I did a 7 mile run....in honor of those in Boston. Today I wore this race t-shirt to honor those in Boston. My heart and certainly my prayers go out to all those involved. 

I quickly turn my thoughts to my half marathon coming up here in a little over 2 weeks and I have to be honest...I'm a little scared. Not so much for myself...more so for my family and friends that will be there cheering me on. The thought of something happening to them because of me would be devastating to me. And yes the thought of telling them to stay home has crossed my mind. Then I thought....this is the exact thing this terrorist wants to do...instill fear. And I can't control what a psycho killer wants to do...the only thing I do know is that God is in control and He has me, and my loved ones, in the palm of His hand. So am I going to not run my half marathon?? No...I still plan on running. Am I going to be more aware of what's going on around me? Yes. Am I going to give into the fear?? No, but I am going to be as cautious as I can and pray about the rest. So here I go as I complete my last weeks of training...trying not to overthink and dwell on what happened at Boston....but yet it's hard, because my heart so goes out to those people. My prayer is that we as runners don't allow this senseless act to deter us from our passion....running.

On a training note....I did my longest run to date this past Saturday...13 miles. It was crazy...and hard. I went with my half marathon partner Jess Gress and we were all over the Lake Park area. The bad part...part of the route was flooded and under quite a bit of water so we had to take some detours and backtrack some....which meant going up more hills than I was used to....so by the end of that run I was shot. Not to mention I didn't eat much for breakfast...my bad. So I was highly under fueled. But I'm glad I did it....and surprisingly my hip didn't hurt which was a huge YAY!!!

Well I know this wasn't the most uplifting post, but in light of the circumstances it's the best I can do. May God be with those in Boston. Those who suffered loss, those who suffered injury...those who were not able to finish the race and were robbed of their glory. God be with you Boston....our hearts go out to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment