Saturday, May 25, 2013

It's a piece of cake!!

Was talking to my awesome father in law...(yes by the way I DO have the most awesome father in law ever) and we were talking about races and how I have a 5K race this coming Monday...he says, "After doing a half marathon a few weeks ago this should be a piece of cake for you." Funny how just not quite two years ago I did my first 5K race and I remember when I crossed that finish line how I felt like I was going to die! Now after training and doing a half marathon, he's right.... a 5K isn't so bad anymore. Just goes to show that if you stick with something sometimes those little feats don't seem so bad anymore and how you just want to do just a little bit more and get better.

So this past Saturday I did the Coshocton Relay for Life 5K with my friend Jess Gress. Hubby thought that the 5K was going to take place on the fairgrounds race track...not sure where he had gotten his information, but it was NOT on the race track...which was fine with me...until I found out that the route was going to take us up AND down a major hill in our area. Luckily it was going up towards the beginning and down towards the end of the race. This of course was not a major or chip timed sort of race...I think if we were lucky there were maybe 35-40 runners and walkers for this race. Not a big one at all...in fact probably the smallest I'd been to. So surprisingly the route was not bad, despite the hill...I think a lot of my hill training for the half helped me in that area. Luckily  part of the route was part of the school route that I run all the time so it was familiar and I knew the area...not to mention the downhill helped push me the final bit. Overall, again despite the hill, according to whoever was keeping the time, this was my best 5K yet with a time of 27:08!! So I am super happy about that.

My running has been a bit sporadic since the half. May is always a super busy month for me and this year is no exception. I haven't been as consistent as the past, but I'm ok with that. Was glad to get in few runs this week even if they weren't as long as I would have liked. I'm hoping now that school is finally over and summer break is upon us that maybe I can get back to some sort of routine with my running.

This weekend I am traveling to Tallmadge, Ohio to run the Tallmadge Memorial 5K with my aunt. We have been wanting to do a race together for a while so this is finally it! I'm excited to get to run with family and another plus is there's a pancake breakfast at the end :) Hoping the weather is nice. Ohio is a fickle sort and it seems that summer and winter have been here this week. Last night and tonight we have a frost warning...really?? Had to cover my plants last night...hoping they make it...my poor basil got nipped a little bit last night...sad face :(

Now that school is out I have been trying to get caught up on my podcasts. One of the many running ones I listen to is the Runner Girls Podcast. I was listening to their April 9th episode called Jumping In the Ditch and they always pick a Runner Girl of the Week...on this particular episode imagine my surprise when they picked me as their Runner Girl of the Week!! How exciting!! They picked me because of my training for my first half. So cool!! So if you are looking for a running podcast to listen to with some down to earth, keeping it real girls...check them out!

Well that's all for this week...will give you a race recap...and hopefully pictures from my Tallmadge 5K next week.

So what are your running plans for this weekend??

Have a great Memorial Day....and thank you to all those veterans and those that still serve our country...YOU ROCK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment