Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Capital City Half Marathon Recap

How many people can say that they had an epic day...I mean a day that goes down as one of those that you'll never ever forget. Saturday was definitely that day because...

I completed my first half marathon!!!

Yes it was a truly amazing experience...one that honestly I plan to do again, despite all the hard work and pain I went through to get there...crossing that finish line was all worth it! 

So here is the recap: Luckily we were able to get a room (thanks to my awesome brother in law) pretty much right at the starting line. I mean I literally walked out the door and not even a half block and I was there. Coming down the elevator on race day and seeing all those people lining the streets...at that point it all hit me...oh my goodness...I'm running a half marathon!! This is it!! The weather couldn't have been more perfect for the Capital City Half Marathon...the weather was amazing!! And before the race started they played Sweet Caroline in honor of Boston...a very nice touch. My friend, Jess Gress and I waited in anticipation for the start of the race...we were in the next to the last corral...needless to say I knew that once they started us off I wouldn't see Jess until the end...she's much faster than I and much younger...lol. 

So one of the most inspirational things that I saw in the race were the military guys in their fatigues and huge backpacks walking/jogging the course...amazing!! I tried to high five and encourage all the ones that I saw. It truly was inspiring. Then there were those who were obviously on teams and running for a cause or a person. The one team was pushing a young man in a jogging stroller...he was having fun and made me thankful that I was even able to run...bless his heart and his team. 

I was having a good time myself. The music along the route was fun. I was playing my Christian running mix during the first part of the race and I remember the song Heart of Worship came on and I just had my hands in the air and praising God...it was an amazing moment...though I'm sure the people behind me must of thought I was whacked...lol...oh well.

So for the most part the course was great!! Relatively no hills, a few inclines but nothing major at all....and it seemed to go by quickly. The bands were fun and so amazing hearing people on the side cheering you on and just being there for support. Sure kept the adrenaline going. By mile 5 I was starting to fade a little so I took some of my energy blocks and that helped a bunch...kept me going. The water stations were placed perfectly....and done well. About mile 11 I was getting pretty tired. Even my sports beans weren't helping much...I was just ready for it to be over. I pretty much had to pray through the last 2 miles. I never did see the mile 12 marker, but when we turned the corner onto High St. and I saw the finish line about a half mile or so away I knew that I just really wanted this to be over...I was tired. So when I finally got to about 400 yards or so away from the line I just sprinted for it...gave it all that I had left. I crossed the line in 2:21:42!! I was hoping to finish between 2:20 - 2:30 so I was very pleased with my results...especially being my first half. 

So after I crossed the line I just busted into tears...I couldn't believe that I just did that...that I accomplished my goal. My hubby and boys met me shortly there after and hubby had to help me stay upright because the emotions and just being exhausted was making me a bit wobbly, but after I got some of my sports drink and a bagel in me I started to feel better. My sister and nephew got to see me at the end of the race...so glad they were there supporting me!! Thanks Jackie and Treyce! The only thing I didn't like about the race was after crossing the line they kind of corralled you and herded you into the party area....it was very congested and very hard for people to meet up with their loved ones...but other than that the whole race experience was incredible!! I will definitely be doing this again!

Overall it was an amazing EPIC day!! Thank you to all those who supported me, cheered me on and sent me well wishes....it meant the world to me!!

So enjoy these pics from the race...until then, onto the next :)








No comments:

Post a Comment