Thursday, September 12, 2013

There's a fine line between dedication and insanity

So half marathon training continues...hard to believe in just a little under a month I will be running my 2nd half marathon. Training this time around has been very different from the first time. Not sure if it's because I've been through it once before (and no I'm not saying I'm a seasoned pro), or if it's the time of year, or if it's being so busy that I have no time for the mental games from the first time...who knows. So far training has been pretty good....though I have to say not exactly ideal.

So if I had to choose a time of year to do my training, this time of year would NOT be my first choice. First of all, let's face it....I'm a mom...summer means kids are home, summer is busy, summer is HOT...and it's still hot here...there is no routine...it just really makes it difficult to get those miles in when you're a mom. And even now that my boys are back in school, it's still not easy to try and get those runs in for some reason. A lot of juggling has been involved with this half marathon training that's for sure.

For instance, my run yesterday. Yesterday was a crazy busy day. I had an appointment in the morning, had to set up for our community dinner at church, then a meeting at 4 p.m. and then help at the community dinner...I knew that if I wanted to get my run in I would have to do it after setting up the community dinner....which meant at 1:30 in the afternoon....when it was still 90 degrees out and the humidity was insane. Not ideal in the least...but I put on my big girl shorts, tied up my laces and went out and did it before my brain told me what a crazy insane woman I was. (I always tell my friends that there is a fine line between dedication and insanity....and I jump that line often....lol!!) So I was able to get a four mile run in, and actually it was a really good run...one of the best I've had in a while...though at the last half mile I was totally dying...it was WAY too hot and my water bottle had gotten warm by this point...bleh...nothing worse than drinking warm water, but overall I felt really good running and I had no pains at all...my knee was great, even my hip, which usually starts giving me fits when I amp up the mileage...my hip was great! So just goes to show, even when the environment isn't ideal, you still can have a good run. 

Speaking of good runs, I have some recommendations for some things for a good run or at least help you obtain it. I have come across some great running stuff lately that I want to pass along to you:

Runner Girls Podcast....if you have the ability to listen to podcasts this is a great little podcast of three ladies who trained to do a half marathon together and are now training to do a 5K in 30 minutes or less. They talk about their training, they have interesting weekly topics and they keep it real. Go check them out.

OptimalRun.com...if you are looking for new running shoes, this is a great little website that if you go to their tab "Personalized Footwear Recommendation"....from there you answer their survey questions about what you like in running shoes and what not...and within a day they will send you not a link or a cookie cutter email recommending you what shoes to wear...oh no....they will send you a personalized video recommendation of what shoes they recommend for you....I thought this was pretty darn cool...of course I don't get out much either, but seriously it was really, really cool. And they will also give you a discount on the shoes they recommend for you. As soon as I can scrape my $$ together I'm probably going to try their recommendation for me...yes a Mizuno pair of course...lol! Oh, and they have free shipping and a great 40 day money back guarantee...can't beat that!!

Cooling Runner's Towel Now this link may or may not be the exact same towel I have, but if you can get your hands on any type of cooling towel....do it!! I don't know how I ever ran without one of these things. My lovely sister, who just got into running herself, when we did our Tutu race a few weeks ago she introduced me to this amazing thing and let me have one of hers. Now when I run without it, I'm miserable...especially in this heat and humidity we've been having. The great thing about this towel is that when it's dry it's like a piece of cardboard, but once you get it wet it is soft and cooling...I like to get it wet and then leave it by my A/C for a little bit to get even cooler...oh yea....it's awesome. I call it my woobie towel....my boys love it and they don't even run. It's amazing!! Get one now!!

Well that's all I have for now. 24 days until my next half...if you happen to be running the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon in Cleveland on Oct. 6th, let me know...would love to know of someone else that is crazy enough to do this race like me...lol! 

Have a great week!!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.amazon.com/Realxgear-Xtreme-Cooling-Towel-24x16/dp/B00BEZVIQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379032955&sr=1-1&keywords=xtreme+cooling.

    Here is the link to the cooling towels. =) I am so glad that you enjoy it as much as I do. So proud of you sissy!!

    ReplyDelete