Monday, September 30, 2013

One Week And Counting....

Yikes!! Yes you heard that right....only one more week till the Cleveland Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon. And I don't know if it's because of the crazy summer, or because I started my training earlier with my first half that it seemed like it was like forever before my first half got here...but this half just seemed to sneak up on me...one minute I was trying to start my training, next minute we are a week away....crazy stuff I tell ya!!

So went for my last long training run Saturday. What a beautiful morning for it too. Temps in the 50s, lovely sunshine...it was wonderful. And this time I wanted to simulate what I would do on race day...I had my Gu Chomps and Jelly Belly Sport Beans for fuel, wore my shoes I plan to wear on Sunday, not sure on the outfit yet, but we'll have to see how the weather is in Cleveland. Anyway, as I started my run, I purposely started running more slowly. I usually run between a 9-9:30 minute mile. And I usually make the mistake of starting out too fast...this time I purposely started at almost a 10 minute mile. Felt kind of weird at first, but I went with it. The run was really good...and to the guy who just happened to be running the same route I was for a good part of my run....trust me I was not stalking you...obviously we have the same idea on a long run route. Anyway, my training log said to do a 7 mile run, I wanted to do 10...I know, again the insanity kicking in. I got to mile 8 and I started feeling tired, but I kept pushing through. By the time I got home I had just a smidge over 10 miles. Those last couple miles were tough. I'm so praying that when I get to Cleveland that I'll be able to pull through those last 3 miles. Ugh...but overall I was happy with my run. When I checked my stats on Nike+ it said I pretty much did negative splits until mile 9, and believe it or not mile 8 was my fastest mile...and also I have run 2000 miles since I started running in August 2010....that's crazy....I figure I'm almost to Cali now right?? LOL! 

And just FYI....I never run without my tunes and if you are looking for some great running mixes check out Rock My Run. They have really great running mixes. The running mix I ran with Saturday was the Faith, Love, Run mix by DJ Lloyd. What a great mix to get going on your run but also praising God in the process...it's great!

So now the taper begins...I plan to do a 5 mile run sometime today then a 2 mile run later this week and then it's race time on Sunday. The Expo is on Saturday so I'll be there picking up my race packet and checking out what they have to offer then the plan is to meet up with some of my Cleveland family (Yes, I am originally from the Cleveland area). So hoping to meet my aunt, uncle and grandma for some dinner and then hopefully turn in early for a good night's sleep for race day.

So wish me luck and my next post will probably be after my half on Sunday with a race report. Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment